Thursday, January 2, 2014

books I read in 2013

I was inspired by my blogging pal, Ines and her post about all the books she read last year.  

I love to read, and I'm on Goodreads, and that's how I keep track of what I have read. If anyone out there wants to see my reviews and become 'friends' there-scroll all the way down on the right side of this page, you'll see the Goodreads widget. If you click on it, you get to my profile.

As you can see from below, I was quite obsessed with Le Guin (though my obsession with her writing started in 2012), Nesbo, and Okorafor (and recommend all their books, not just the ones I have highlighted).  So yes, highlighted books are ones that I totally recommend.  I don't think that there are any book on this year's list that I disliked.  Some were better than others, but none were stinkers.  (Those that are * are collections/short stories.)

1.   Ursula Le Guin:  Tales from Earthsea
2.   Ursula Le Guin:  The Other Wind
3.   M.L. Longworth:  Death at the Chateau Bremont
4.   Greg Ketter:  Shelf-Life:  Fantastic Stories Celebrating Bookstores *
5.   Jo Nesbo:  The Redbreast
6.   Jo Nesbo:  Nemesis
7.   Jo Nesbo: The Devil's Star
8.   Susan Cain:  Quiet: The Power of Introverts...
9.   Jo Nesbo:  The Snowman
10. Jo Nesbo: The Leopard
11. Richard Stark: Flashfire
12. Kirby Larson:  Hattie Big Sky
13. Eleanor Pruitt Stewart:  Letters of a Woman Homesteader
14. Catherynne M. Valente:  The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland...
15. Ken Follett:  The Pillars of the Earth
16. R.S. Belcher:  Six-Gun Tarot
17. Kathleen Tessaro:  The Perfume Collector
18. Louise Erdrich:  The Plague of Doves
19. Jo Nesbo:  The Redeemer
20. Phillip K. Dick: The Collective Stories (#4 Minority Report) *
21.Shirley Jackson:  The Haunting of Hill House
22. Ursula Le Guin:  The Left Hand of Darkness
23. Yevgeny Zamyatin:  We
24.  Southern Living Magazine:  Little Jars, Big Flavors (canning/preserving book)
25. Raymond Carver:  American Short Story Masterpieces *
26. Max Brooks:  World War Z
27. Eli Brown:  Cinnamon and Gunpowder
28. Jo Walton:  Farthing
29. Nnedi Okorafor:  Akata Witch
30. Neil Shusterman:  UnWind
31. Neil Gaiman:  The Graveyard Book
32. Jo Nesbo:  Headhunters
33. Ian Rankin: Hide and Seek
34. Neil Shusterman:  UnWholly
35. Ian Rankin:  Knots and Crosses
36: Randal Doane: Stealing All Transmissions: A Secret History of The Clash (Randal is a friend of mine, too!)
37. Nnedi Okorafor: Zahrah the Windseeker
38. Nnedi Okorafor: The Shadow Speaker
39. Stephen King:  Different Seasons *
40. Jo Nesbo:  The Bat
41. John Scalzi:  Redshirts
42. Ruth Ozeki: A Tale for the Time Being
43. Edna O'Brien: The Country Girls Trilogy and Epilogue *
44. Edna O'Brien: Country Girl
45. John Green:  Paper Towns
46. Stephen King:  Full Dark, No Stars *
47. Zoe Farraris: Finding Nouf
48. Marge Piercy:  He, She and It
49. Arthur Conan Doyle: Six Great Sherlock Holmes Stories *

So there you go!  I try to read every day, and some days, I read ALL day!

Have you read any of these?  If so, what did you think?

(This is the photo I submitted to GuardianWitness - Shelfie)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, so you went through Le Guin? Good choice! And you read World War Z?! That's on my TBR soon pile. :) As is Nesbo, I just never get around to starting.
    I am jealous - you sometimes get to read all day? How I wish I could do that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ines!!! Le Guin was a delight, and I tend to read in bunches like that! World War Z is AWESOME!! Seriously good. And Nesbo - OMG I am in love! I am waiting, not patiently, for the next book. Some of his early books haven't been translated yet into English. I can only read all day some days because I still haven't found a job - no money, but lots of free time! ;)

      Delete
  2. I need to catch up on my blog reading and reading in general. It's been a rough time over here. I may try to do some today to distract myself from the real world a bit. It's either I'll read or have a Harry Potter movie marathon. I'm going to tell hubby you recommend World War Z. He liked the movie so he might want to read the book.
    Happy New Year, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Poodle!!! I'm sorry things have been rough ((hugs)). Reading tends to help me let worries go for a bit.

      I haven't seen the movie yet and I want to, but the book is really really good - Im sure your husband will love it if he liked the film! H

      Happy new year to you, too!

      Delete
  3. I read a lot but there are a lot of books on your list that I haven't read so I'll make some notes for my next trip to the library. I'm on Goodreads too. I'll see if I can figure out the friends thing.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Darla! Here's the direct link to my profile there https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/214838-carol

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but to leave a comment, there is no 'captcha'. Thank you for leaving a message - I usually reply to each and every one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...