Tuesday, December 31, 2013

happy new year!

Hoping that everyone is having a fun and safe New Year's Eve!  I'm at home watching, or rather listening to, PBS Live at Lincoln Center, featuring Yo-Yo Ma and the New York Philharmonic.

I'm trying to make polymer buttons, and failing miserably.  First off, I'm wearing a wool sweater and I'm getting wool fibers on everything!  And secondly, after nearly two hours of making sure that the toaster oven I have is the right temperature (using an oven thermometer), the first batch I did was under-done.  So I re-baked them, and yep, they over-baked.  But you know what?  They look REALLY cool!  (These were originally light blue and white. Ooopsie)


Okay, another batch is nearly done so I have to run and post this.  
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, those may not work for the project you had in mind, but I do truly love them!! They have a real antique-y look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JJ and so much fun! They actually work because the original blue and white was too bright for the necklette color. They're not quite finished - I still need to trim them up a bit - once they're ready and attached, I'll post finished necklette photos!

      Delete
  2. I agree with JJ- those are cool looking! Like something from an archeological dig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks Laurie!! I don't know why I procrastinated with making these. I'm having a blast!

      Delete
  3. Love the buttons. I find the age of the polymer or sculpie really effects the cook time. Haven't used it in years and wondered if it loses moisture. The under over bake thing was really annoying on large items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I didn't think of that. The blue and white clays were older. No wonder they didn't bake right the first time around.

      Thanks R!!! I'm glad I'm only doing little buttons - to have something bigger that didn't work out would bum me out. This is different from my experience w/doing regular clay stuff - with a kiln, oddly enough, I feel that I have more control over temperature.

      Delete

Comments are moderated, but to leave a comment, there is no 'captcha'. Thank you for leaving a message - I usually reply to each and every one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...